Monday, April 7, 2008

OWL SKAT!

Gunner is in 2nd grade and such an inquisitive little guy, always wanting to know how things work, where things come from or how it was made, especially when it comes to animals, so needless to say this last unit of study he did in class was right up his alley.

His class has been studying a few different units; 1. the body, which included: bone structure, shape, how they grow, and how to keep them healthy; and 2. studying the habits of different animals, and learning if they slept during the day or at night. They were able to combine these two units while they studied Owl droppings! You heard me right, Owl droppings, better known as POOP!


Gunner talked about this for days, and was worried when we decided to go out of town for a few days that he was going to miss the day when they would dig through the droppings to find out what they ate. Fortunately he didn't.

A few days ago, when I picked the kids up from school, Gunner immediately jumped in the van and couldn't wait to show me his latest picture. I looked at it, and couldn't believe what I was looking at, a skeleton of a Vole, which apparently is a cross between a mole and a mouse. This is what Gunner found in his owl's droppings.

Gunner thought it was the coolest thing ever, and I, well, when I was his age, I would have felt the same way, but now, it's a little wierd to be preparing dinner and as I go to open the fridge there, staring me in the face is the skull of a Vole (it still has a little bit of fur on it - excuse me as I shudder).

I'm not sure how long we need to keep our "Pet Vole" up, but it's been fun watching Gunner's excitement day by day as he learns more and more about the body and animals.

Learning is AWESOME!

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Cammie -I love this story! Isn't learning cool?!?! I think my kids would both be fascinated by this too!

xóchitl said...

this story is a kill (sorry for the pun). i'm actually very impressed that you know in detail what each of your children is learning in school.